What are the current immigration requirements?

The government requirements (Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK) has two requirements. You must first complete a B1 English test (CEFR GESE Grade 5) from Trinity College London and Life in the UK test (reading test about history)

The B1 English test is 10 minutes long speaking and listening test with a trinity.

The Life in the UK test needs 18/24 correct answers and it is a 45 minute long.

These two exams are for indefinite leave to remain and British citizenship applications.

PLEASE NOTE: You will not be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain or British citizenship without these two certificates (10/10/20 Certificate are no longer needed just the reference number)

If the student is applying for spouse visa extension, they will need an A2 English language certificate (CEFR GESE Grade 3) from Trinity College London.

Are there any changes to the life in the UK test itself?

There have been no changes to the Life in the UK test since 2013. The 3rd edition of the book is still valid when taking the exam currently.

Where can I book Life in the UK test?

You can book your Life in the UK test on the following website: https://www.lituktestbooking.co.uk/lituk-web/login

You will need the following the things to book your test:


Passport or Approved Travel Document European Union Identity Card (all of these documents must be in date)

When you book your exam you can sit it anywhere between from 48 hours to 3 weeks.

If I passed my life in the UK test prior to 28th October 2013?

As per the government rules after 2013 you will need to fulfil the KOLL requirements for Home Office purposes. This means completing both the B1 speaking and listening exam and the Life in the UK test.

What are the other equivalent qualifications to B1 English language?

You can only take an SELT with one of the following providers:

  • IELTS SELT Consortium (UK or overseas)
  • LanguageCert (UK or overseas)
  • Trinity College London (UK only)
  • Pearson (UK and overseas)
  • PSI Services (UK) Ltd (overseas only)

The approved IELTS SELT Consortium tests are:

  • IELTS for UKVI
  • Life Skills

For a full list of approved secure English language test taken in the UK you can see them here:


I am an accredited college migrant and or studied degree taught in English

You can prove your knowledge of English if you have a degree that is taught or researched in the English. If your degree is from the UK then you will only need to show your degree certificate.

If your degree is not from the UK then you will need the following:

If you are waiting for graduation then you will need to show proof that you have passed your degree.

What if I am a national of a majority English speaking country?

Nationalities that are exempt

You will not need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re a citizen of:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • Ireland (for citizenship only)
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • USA

NOTE: If your country is not on the above list then you have to demonstrate KOLL requirements and pass the B1 English test.

You will need to pass the Life in the UK test regardless if you name is on the above list. This means you will need to sit the exam for indefinite leave to remain or British citizenship.

I already have an English language qualification in speaking or listening

You will need to demonstrate your English qualification is higher than the B1 English requirement set by the Home Office.  You can use the NARIC website. If you would like help from a teacher visit www.fasttracklifeuk.co.uk/free-assessment or whatsapp a teacher https://bit.ly/RahilTeacher

I was granted settlement under the old rules prior to the 28th October 2013

If you were granted settlement (indefinite leave to remain) before 2013 then to apply for citizenship you will now need to satisfy the Life in the UK test and B1 English language test requirements.

Who is exempt from these immigration requirements?

People aged under 18 years, or 65 years or older on the date of their application are exempt from the KoLL requirement. There is discretion to waive the KoLL requirement if, because of a person’s age, it would be unreasonable to expect them to meet it.

I can not find what I am looking for. What should I do?

Come and speak with us at Fast Track training.

There are three ways of finding the information you need:

1. Visit www.fasttracklifeuk.co.uk/free-assessment
2. Speak with our team on 01158376502
3. Whatsapp a teacher here: https://bit.ly/RahilTeacher

Thank you Fast Trackers and have a wonderful day!

Need help?

Speak to our support team on 01158376502

Find out more about the Life In The UK Test course.

free questions and answers for the life in the uk test